Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mitla on November 8th

On the 8th of November we all drove to the famous archeological site of Mitla. It is famous for it’s stone designs inlaid into pyramids sides and plaza walls. The designs are quite complex and involve swirly shapes and geometric patterns. Each piece of the design is one piece of stone laid into mortar. It must have taken thousands of slaves and many years to complete.

However, the thing I found most amazing about Mitla was that the modern Zapotec town had grown up around the older Mitla. The present day village buildings are interspersed with pyramids and plazas. Over the top of a plaza wall, I could see the modern village.

On our way back from Mitla, Georgie composed this poem.

On oil and gas,

I never go fast.

But on things sweet,

I never retreat.

I’ve always liked sweet things,

(Despite all the beatings).

And now I’ll conclude,

For a sweet interlude.