Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Haida Gwaii

I am the luckiest person alive (with some exceptions). Scarcely back from New York and I am now on a completely different type of adventure. My father is teaching a forest ecology class this week in Haida Gwaii and I am attending the class too. I am so excited not only to be here in Haida Gwaii, a group of islands praised for their majestic beauty, but to also learn about one of my favorite subjects: temperate rainforest ecosystems.
The islands are beautiful: they are frequently silhouetted against the pale sky and each landform is dramatic in its shape and texture. Some parts appear sharp and pointy from the thick forest, other parts look shaven, or slightly fuzzy like a five o’clock shadow. The shaved islands are clear-cuts.

So far, no rain, what type of rainforest is this?