Saturday, March 12, 2011

New York Trip

Five years ago, the choir at my school won a contest and was invited to sing at Carnegie Hall. This year, the same choir, (except with me) was invited back to Carnegie Hall to give a solo performance as well as a joint one with two other choirs. So, on February 16th at ten o’clock pm about 100 students and chaperons boarded a Cathay Pacific flight bound for New York.


The next morning, when we got off the plane and onto buses, we were whisked away for a day of sightseeing with the Unique New York Tours. Now I can lists random facts about Central Park, John Lennon’s murder sight and the New York’s organizational system. For instance, Central Park was the first ever completely man-made park designed to imitate nature.

However, my favorite part was when our tour guide introduced us to a street musician. After asking where we were from and why we were in New York, he bargained that he would play us a song, if we would sing one back. We agreed, grudgingly (half the choir was in a separate bus).


He played an amazing rendition of Amazing Grace—improvising over top of the melody and swaying dramatically. Then we sang our song—a South African freedom song (in a very, ummm, North American manner). This guy listened intently, and then started playing along with us. His trills and our melody echoed throughout the park. It was amazing and moving.

The next event on our itinerary was a tour through the UN. Our tour was fascinating. Many of the facts and ideas penetrated my sleep-fogged brain to bring me to sudden wakefulness. I learned about the UN’s disaster relief packages, different levels of volunteers, and I saw the rooms where the decisions are made that shape our world.


The room for the General Assembly and Security Council were breathtaking. There were high arching ceilings, plush chairs and grandiose podiums. Two murals in particular caught my eye. A French painter had been hired to paint “humanity” for the UN. However, he was then faced with a dilemma, no matter what colour, size or shape he painted the people, someone would be offended. So instead of a realistic representation, he painted the spirit of humanity in bold colours and shapes that everyone can interpret for themselves.


Finally, after 36 hours of no sleep, we checked into our hotel room for a one-hour nap. I fell asleep immediately and woke up just in time to run down to the lobby to meet with the group. We went to dinner and then watched the Broadway show “Wicked”. More than half the choir slept through the performance. I enjoyed the actors voices, skills and the visual effects but I have decided musicals aren’t my favorite genre of music. We got back to the hotel by midnight and were asleep by 12:30. That was the end my first day in New York.

These are the first impressions that I recorded in my Journal (which got abandoned half way through the trip because of lack of time):

  • Many mounded piles of garbage bags
  • Piles of crystallized snow covered in dirt, cigarette buts, and garbage
  • The city smelled like Mexico
  • Many signs saying “Beware of Rat Poison”
  • All the skyscrapers create the impression of a giant metal forest