Sunday, December 18, 2011

An Abbreviated Paris Conclusion

Scarves for Sale
I am now in Israel.  Wow, it feels weird to write that.  Europe was completely different than Canada, and Israel is different yet again.  My mum and I have been very busy the last week, visiting and meeting with family and being tourists.  Since I have been processing and absorbing all the new sights and sounds, I have had no time to write.  I had big plans about how I was going to write about Paris, about how I was going to talk about all the friendly Parisians we met… But I won’t be able to.  Instead, I am going to post a list of my thoughts and observations about the city of lights.  Hopefully, I will also have time soon to start writing about Israel.

My Notes:
- Contrary to our expectation and the stereotype, all the Parisians we met were friendly and happy to talk to us. 
 
My Father's Birthday "Cake"

- The Museum of Art and History of Judaism in Paris showed us that the artistic flowering in the 30’s was created in part by many Jewish artists, like Chagall and Lipchitz.  The Nazis invasion destroyed this vibrant culture.  

- There are old Churches everywhere; many are called Notre Dame, so when asking for directions, be specific.  

- When the Prime Minister came to open a Christmas market, the security guards were Polynesian and Tongan.   
Shakespeare and Company Bookstore is worth seeing, it is as bookstores are meant to be: small, dusty, and full of crowded and crooked bookshelves.  It is not owned by a Multinational company.
A religious procession holding candles sang Ave Maria.  It wound its way through the dark street of Montmartre catching my eye and ears. 
- We went out for dinner for my father’s birthday at a gypsy jazz restaurant.  The violinist was purportedly the best in Paris, and his playing was amazing.  If you want to here jazz in Paris go here: Aux Petits Joueurs, their website is http://www.auxpetitsjoueurs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=65.  Daniel John Martin, the fiddler, plays there every Wednesday starting at nine.  Also, there is live music Tuesday evening at La Locandiera.  People can jam at both restaurants.   

Christmas markets every where sold handmade crafts and traditional cheeses and meats. 
Crepes are actually from Normandy and Bretagne, but are sold all over Paris probably because tourists expect crepes in France.
Paris is a huge city that seems to emanate age and knowledge



No comments: