Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Day in the Life

-->
My days here continue to be awesome. At a first cursory glance at my schedule, it appears that I don’t have enough to do.  And I do have large gaps in my schedule, it is true.  The first couple of days of classes, I was quite worried that I wouldn’t be able to fill my time.  This was a really stupid thing to worry about.  Here is a short description of what I did on Friday—a day when I had relatively few classes. 

My Schedule
My classes started at eleven, so I got to sleep in.  Since I got to sleep-in, I knew I could stay up late the previous night.  So I played music until midnight.  Back on Friday morning, I had a leisurely extra hour in bed where I wrote down some thoughts and practiced clapping some rhythms.  Then I realized I was late, and ran to the T at 10:30, so I could get to Berklee by 11:00. 

I had my musicianship class first, which is basically ear training.  I love this class, as it is very interactive and the teacher is fantastic.  She makes the most mundane exercise seem fun.  We sing, clap and write down rhythms.  It is very fun, and often funny.  On Friday we had a short quiz, which meant that each of us sight sang and sight clapped a couple of bars from our workbook.  We went around in a circle, everyone singing/clapping different bars.  Each person got a moment in the spotlight… certainly not my favourite activity. 

From there I raced off to my ensemble class, something for which I was really excited.  All week I had heard other ensembles practicing, the horn players swinging and the drums pounding out an awesome groove.  But alas, my class wasn’t like that. The class was 2 hours long and we didn’t play any music.  The guitar players were nice, hopefully I will get to jam with them later.  Since the group wasn’t a good match for me, I went and talked to the Five-Week office.  The people there were so great.  They were very sympathetic and gave me a new jazz ensemble to replace the bad one and also put me in a funk-fusion band.  Those people are awesome. 

Then that was it for my classes on Friday.  I was done at 2:00pm.  Except then I met two other violin players and we practiced for a little while… one and a half hours.  We worked on the songs we are playing in the Five-Week orchestra.  We practiced chops (the rhythmic way of dropping the bow on the strings to produce sounds like a quiet drum).  Then we jammed on a blues.  It was pretty awesome to play with other fiddle players like this.  I only have experience doing this type of thing with my dad, so it was pretty cool to hear their different playing styles and to be able to trade solos three different ways. 

While we were practicing, I noticed people traipsing past the window in the door to our practice room (more like a practice closet).  Each person would peer inside, staring at the three violins making odd chunking sounds.  Then they would walk on. I presume they were prospective students on a tour.  I felt like I was in a zoo, everyone coming to look at the exotic fiddle players.  This image amused me so much, and then my friends when I told them, that we laughed until we cried.  One of my friends pointed out that we were even displaying like animals in a zoo—which of course made us laugh harder. 
Poly-rhythms in a Pizza Parlour

Afterwards, I took a half hour break to eat some lunch, and then I went back to the practice rooms to practice my own assignments.  I’m mostly working on modes and movable finger patterns based on the mode arpeggios.  Then you can move the finger patterns and play them over different chords to get entirely different sounds.  I can’t describe how much fun it is to learn this stuff.  It’s kind of like learning how to use different spices when you are cooking.  Each spice gives the same dish a really different flavour. 

I was pretty tired at 5:30, so I packed up and went back home, to Fisher College.  Where, after a short rest I did… can you guess?  I practiced some more!  This type of day seems to be what my routine is settling in to, and it is the best thing ever.  I don’t need to do anything but play music, so music is all I’m doing.  If I’m not careful, I’m going to leave Boston without ever having been a normal tourist here. 

No comments: