Friday, January 27, 2012

Family Ties

My Great-Aunt Rachel on Her New Scooter
Blood ties are strange things.  The fact that we are “family” holds such power over us.  We are absurdly loyal to family even in the face of damning evidence.  “Family” means we always talk on the phone, even when we are exhausted.  Historically, familial ties were the way to knit kingdoms and to forge alliances. 

For me, “family” is people who share my history and my ancestors.  We are still “family” even when we live across the world and have never met.  The knowledge of shared genetics links us and creates opportunities to meet and love people who are entirely different—people who have a different language, culture, and lifestyle.  Yet, we have the same nose; we are family. 
The Whole Family

My family in Israel are the children and grandchildren of my great-aunt, my grandmother’s sister.  They are my second cousins and second cousins once removed (I had to figure that out just to say it here).  But how we are related doesn’t matter—my Israeli family has completely welcomed me into their lives.  I have always heard stories and legends, but now I have connected the tales to faces.  Because of the stories and my visit, I am starting to feel like I have known them forever. 

My Great-Uncle and One of my Fantastic Cousins
I have also become convinced that family-hopping is the best way to travel.  Hanging out with my family here has given me unique insights on Israeli life and culture.  I can ask questions about touchy situations and politics and about aspects of life here that completely confuse me.  Like why the bus and train ticket system is not integrated.  As a tourist, my opinions arise from my experiences living in Canada, and the particular biases that it brings.  Luckily, my family can also tell me what to think based on their experiences living here, which give me a very enlightening, and usually surprising, perspective.  My family is also made up of fantastic, warm people with whom I have fun hanging out.  I also always have a place to stay.  No matter how busy they are, my cousins always offer me a place in their homes and their lives. 

No comments: