Monday, November 14, 2011

Eats, Purrs, and Leaves

The Menagerie
I have a new friend who purrs when I pick him up and who loves to chase leaves.  I have another new friend who watches me anxiously as I leave the house and who wags her tail if we play catch.  The donkey doesn’t pretend to be my friend, but placidly stands just out of reach behind the fence.  He does glower jealously from his field when I pay attention to anyone else.  I am scolded by the duck and am nibbled by the sheep, but our personalities really aren’t compatible for cultivating a friendship.  The duck actually worships the sheep and spends each day waddling around trailing after le mouton

My new best friend is named Charlie, and she
How Charlie Sees Me
thinks I am a movie star.  And perhaps I am, to her three-year-old logic.  Charlie whispers me secrets about les étoiles and gives me a hug each morning.  She also gives me beautiful drawings and speaks incomprehensible French, so our profound conversations are somewhat limited.  

Charlie and I Playing my Violin
We are staying in the Department of Lot in a fantastic Gite apartment: La Cabane de Charlie.  Like most of the buildings in France, this mid-19th century house is made of stone.  Unlike most, the interior walls are painted cheerful blues, yellows, and oranges.  The whole place feels warm, cozy, and instantly home-like.  True to form, we immediately made the house a mess and our stuff covers every available surface.  More on our new, temporary home in France to follow…

No comments: